Checklist: 44 Things To Boost Engagement On Your Blog
Hey you, welcome! I make checklist-esque contents with an aim to inspire your next digital marketing strategy, campaign ideas or optimization housekeeping. Bite-sized ideas to help you grow your business, by MashWebby Marketing!
OVERVIEW: Blogging is a powerful content marketing strategy. It helps you increase awareness for your brands, improve SEO rankings and create buzz for your products/services.
Blog engagement rate can tell you whether or not your readers are engaging or find your contents useful.
The longer readers stay on your blog page, the more likely they are going to be converted on an offer or becoming valuable leads. Here’s a 44-point checklist that can make your life easier:
Headlines and Page Titles
You don’t want people to leave the site before they start looking at your contents. So, grab their attention with powerful headlines and titles.
- Include 1-2 keywords per headline that are relevant to your blog posts
- Highlight benefits within your page title
- Contain “action verbs” such as improve, boost, relief, double, grow, etc.
- A/B test multiple headlines to see which one results in more clicks
- Optimize headlines for both SEO and human
Here comes the main part of your blog – contents. Engaging contents are the ones that can help your audience to solve their problems. Make sure you create contents that are specific to your target audience. This can be done by researching your customer personas and fulfill your contents based on those personas.
- Deliver relevant contents as much as your headlines promise!
- Cover topics with more extensive details than other competitors
- Write something that people will search for
- Narrow down your topics but remain specific and relevant
- Target the right keywords and use them in blog posts
- Update old contents (I.E. 2017 trends to 2018 trends)
- Provide content upgrade at the end of blog posts (I.E. eBook, free guide, future updates)
- Blog consistently as much as your audience can consume
- Your work is not done until you promote and share your contents
Is your blog easy to read? Do you make your readers go through eye-straining process when they read your articles? Good readability will increase engagement and time-on-site. Few things to check:
- Use subheaders (i.e. H1, H2, H3, H4)
- Use font size that is readable on mobile devices
- Break down text into multiple paragraphs
- Bold your text to emphasize key points or for scanning purpose
- Use bullets and lists throughout paragraphs
Internal and External Links
Your readers might be interested in your previous blog posts. Why not do them a favor by simply providing a link to these resources? When you add internal links, you double the values of a blog post and improve SEO link equity. Whereas linking externally to third party websites is a great way to credit owner’s sources and build relationships for future collaboration with other bloggers.
- Fix or remove broken links that are no longer working
- Use relevant phrases or keywords in anchor text
- Include links to your previous blog posts
- Move less important links to footer
- Mention other bloggers in your content when you provide their examples
- Credit original sources by providing a link to images, data, etc.
Blog Design & Layout
Design and layout can influence engagement rate and user experience. If you’re using WordPress, it’s easier to make layout changes through customization or CSS. Consider these few strategies:
- Choose a center blog layout rather than full-width design
- Add a search bar
- Add a table of contents to improve navigation
- Add category to posts for better topics organization
- Increase line height (space between lines of text)
- Add block quote to highlight quotation or statements
- Use side columns for specific offerings
Visual elements (such as photos, images, charts and videos) can be used to engage people’s attention and increase time-on-page:
- Add a background image for every blog posts
- Embed videos on blog posts
- Use infographics to present data-driven information
- Add relevant images per sub-headers
- Publish different types of contents other than text-driven posts
- Include descriptive image alt text for SEO purpose
Encourage dialogue & interaction
Asking readers for opinions and establish two-way communication is a great way to increase blog engagement. For examples:
- Allow comments on every blog posts
- Add a feedback form on blog page
- Ask readers a question at the end of blog posts
- Reply to comments
- Provide free newsletter subscription for future insights
- Allow readers to ask you questions by providing them your email
Have I forgotten anything? Please let me know in the comments below.
Please share this post for good karma… 😛
About the author: